5 Tips to Prepare for College

Ari Zaglaniczny, Sports Editor

Exiting high school and entering college can be a scary transition, but it doesn’t have to be. If you keep up with everything you need to do prior to moving in and attending your first class, the only thing you’ll need to worry about is the transition between high school and college.

Here are some tips and ideas on how to prepare for college prior to attending, once you’re already accepted:

1.) Start looking for a roommate right away: Many colleges provide services for new students to connect with each other to try and find roommates. (ex: a Facebook or Instagram page) Take advantage of this right away so you don’t have to scramble right before the housing deadline for a roommate, and risk having to go in blind.

2.) Sign-up for an early orientation: Having orientation early will remove stress once it’s over because that is the day you get everything set, including your freshman year class schedule. At this point you’re officially enrolled so there isn’t much else you need to stress about until your move in date!

3.) Save up for college: College is very expensive! Getting a job is a great recommendation, and it gives you the chance to save portions of each paycheck for college expenses or even extra money you may need up at college. Having a job your first year on campus could be overwhelming, so having a job prior and saving up could be a great alternative!

4.) Get dorm materials: Dorms do not come with anything except for the bed frame and sometimes a desk. Prior to moving in, make sure to get things like a comforter, shower towels, wash cloths, other toiletries, pillows and pillow cases, and any other things you may want like a mini fridge or even a small T.V. along with all the other necessities you may need for your dorm. It is important to have this prior to moving in because then you’re all settled and have the opportunity to explore campus more on move in day and get acquainted with everything. Also, with having everything set in your room after moving in, you can then look and see if there is anything you may have forgotten and run to the store real quick!

5.) Get school supplies: Make sure to get all of your notebooks, folders, binders, pens/pencils, highlighters, backpack and other accessories you may need at your school like a winter coat and boots once it is colder out when walking to class!

These are just a few tips of what you can do to prepare for college and will help relieve some stress on move in day, along with the first day of the semester.