Chippewa Valley Cheer Competition

Kylie Kuskowski, Staff Writer

Just as the football season was coming to a close, the cheerleaders walked off the track and right onto the mats. Season after season, Chippewa Valley’s varsity cheer team is preparing for yet another invigorating competition season. Instead of standing on the sidelines cheering on our beloved football team, the spotlight is on them. In their winter season, the girls compete against other schools, hoping to have the best stunting, tumbling, jumps, and voices in the district.

After the two varsity coaches had stepped down last year, two more stepped up to fill the position. Coach Kratt, an English teacher at Chippewa Valley High School, and Coach Reilly, a supportive learning teacher at the 9th Grade Center. Their goal this season is to improve every day and every time they are competing. “This season has gone well! The girls are working hard and always improving and trying new things. Coach Kratt and I are proud of them for working as a team. We are excited to see how the rest of the season goes,” Reilly shared. They want the girls to be successful and always work their hardest. When asking the team, they all agreed having new coaches has helped them improve their skills. They’ve gotten a new perspective on how a team should look and act. Everts said, “Without them, I don’t believe we would have gotten as far as we have gotten.”

This year, their motto is, “Rise Up.” The past few years our team has focused on personal goals and only getting better after each competition. Junior Gabby Mirabile shared, “My team and I are rising above it all. This year we’re not letting anything stop us, we’re coming back stronger than ever before.” Through every obstacle that comes their way, they do the best they can to overcome it. With eighteen girls total and only two of them being seniors, they all have to work together to stay motivated and focused on the goal. Now in her last year of cheer, senior Kyersten Everts said, “I’ve become so close to all of the girls on the team and it is sad that the season is ending so soon.”

Competitive cheerleading competitions take place on Wednesday nights, each school in that division participate in three rounds. The first round focuses on the girl’s motions and jumps. The second round focuses on jumps, tumbling, and flexibility. The third round is all about stunts and tumbling (this is usually the crowd’s favorite). Chippewa Valley’s cheer team is in MAC Gold, along with Stevenson and Anchor Bay.

Wednesday, January 11th, was a home competition, where the Big Reds took third place. Each round they stormed the mat with huge smiles and thunderous cheers. With the support of their classmates, they bust out every move and stunt sequence in synchronization. Even sitting in the crowd, one could tell how hard this team has worked to improve themselves to be as good as they were Wednesday night. Round after round, the nerves started to build up, but they pushed through and was able to rise to the top. “It only gets better from there,” Mirabile stated.

Switch roles and cheer on your cheerleaders for a change, check out their schedule for their next competition!