CVHS Medical Academy

Kendra Babbitt, Copy Editor

Have you ever considered working in the medical field? Whether you want to be a surgeon or even a chiropractor, medical careers can aid you in your journey to find your perfect job and give you a jump start on what you need to know. 

Medical Careers is a two-year program that goes hand-in-hand with Medical English. Any junior at the Valley is eligible to join the academy, and if you are considering going into the medical field, it is recommended! The medical academy, your junior year, focuses mainly on learning skills that would be used in a hospital, anatomy, and medical terminology. The class can be very rewarding to those who truly take the most from it.

While any junior can take the medical academy classes, you must then apply to be in the medical academy your senior year. The reason for this is because this group of students gets the privilege to take the skills they’ve learned and then apply them in an actual hospital. Three days a week, the students go to McLaren Macomb Hospital and work with Nurse Assistants to get a taste of what goes on inside a real hospital. The students love going to work at the hospital, as they find it extremely beneficial. “It gives you good experience in doing small things around the hospital. It puts you in a medical setting, and it allows you to learn a ton of new skills and see a lot of cool things,” says Anthony Carlier. 

Another benefit of the medical academy, according to the students, are the experiences you get at the hospital. Alex Grainger, a senior at the Valley, got to have an incredible opportunity. “One day I got lucky and was able to witness a birth. It was by far the best experience I’ve had at the hospital so far,” says Grainger. While that is super exciting, that is not the only cool thing to see at the hospital. The possibilities are endless. 

Most, if not all of the current students in their second year of the medical academy have had nothing but goods things to say about it. They find the program very helpful and say that it gets them the experience they need. It puts them one step ahead and prepares them for a future career in medicine.