How Snow Days are Called

Anthony Cardamone, Editor-In-Chief

Whenever it snows, students often flood social media with tweets about wanting a snow day and Chippewa Valley Schools Superintendent Ron Roberts is often the subject of angry snow day tweets. However, students are largely unaware of the process of calling a snow day and the multiple factors that go into the decision.

The decision is based on current weather conditions, radar, and consistency in weather forecasts for how much snow will fall overnight. A number of unforeseen factors can also play into the the decision being called later than desired. For example, on January 17th, temperatures remained cold enough for freezing rain to freeze over the road when it was expected to melt the night before. Roberts called a snow day around 6:15 am.

“Sometimes the weather is a little less predictable and you don’t know what’s going to happen, and then some are so obvious,” Roberts said.

After analyzing the weather conditions and forecasts, Roberts consults with the district’s transportation director, who is responsible for all buses getting to school on time. After receiving input from transportation officials, Roberts then makes his decision, lets other districts know what they’ve decided and sends out a tweet.

When he called a snow day on January 17th, Roberts received 644 re-tweets and nearly 700 likes. On December 11th, over 900 people re-tweeted and liked his tweet announcing the first snow day of the year.

“The response from kids is overwhelming, and it’s overwhelmingly positive. It’s a good way for me to have a connection with kids,” Roberts said. “The things they tweet are all in good fun, so I enjoy that.”