The Most Heartwarming Day of the Year

Jay Callahan, Staff Writer

As one of the most heartwarming days of the year, whether for participants or volunteers, Special Olympics is the experience of a lifetime.

The Area 14 games took place Tuesday, May 2nd at Macomb Community College South Campus with a bitter cold temperature and rain showers on and off. However, that didn’t stop the competitors from embracing their time to shine. The games ran from 10am to roughly 1pm with a different variety of events like the 100m dash, softball throw, and volleyball. Chester Boston in his 50M and 100M walk received first place and was happier than ever. Chester made his point that, “this is something he looks forward to every year.”
Being a part of this experience really opened my eyes to look at life positively and embrace every opportunity with as much heart as the participants competing. I had the great privilege of working with Chester and many other bright young men and women, from early teens to older adults, and it was definitely life changing. Be The Change President, Chayla Avery, pointed out, “Every year I’ve attended CVHS I have volunteered at Special Olympics. It has taught me to be compassionate, selfless, and grateful. It’s beautiful to see the students get excited over something as simple as coming in second place for a 100M dash. Things that we would be disappointed in, they celebrate and embrace. They feel special, a sense of joy and pride and I absolutely love it.”

For our advisors, Mrs. Luft, Mrs. Murphy, Mrs. Armstrong and Mr. Murphy, the experience was just as inspiring. “The kids made it another successful experience for Chippewa Valley,” stated Mr. Murphy. “This day is such a blessing to see our kids embrace in the quality of others lives to give them a day where it’s not about themselves but about others in need of a confidence level boost.”
I’m honored to have taken part in this experience, and I encourage others if they ever have the opportunity to be involved, embrace it and open your eyes up to the most heartwarming experience of my young life.