Choir Spring Concert: Goodbye to Seniors

Alexandra Leone & Kendra Babbitt, Student Life Editor & Copy Editor

The night ended with joyful tears as the seniors sang their final note on the Chippewa stage. Tuesday night was full of music, friendship, laughter, and tears at the Choir Spring Concert. Each choir was able to showcase their music that they have been working on diligently for the spring semester. Furthermore, after each choir had their showcase, we all came together as one CV Choir to sing the traditional songs of each final concert that epitomize our journey together throughout these past four years in the choir program. These songs, “Here’s to Song” and “Remember When,” include the ceremonial rose pass where an underclassmen hands a senior a flower in their caps and gowns. Also, there is a senior slideshow that we all watch together of all the memories that were made. It is definitely a favorite concert that is held near and dear to every choir member’s heart as a senior or even younger because we truly all are one family.

Jamie McLaughlin is a freshman in the Treble Choir and even though she has only been at the Valley for one year, she feels she has made a strong connection with the seniors. “It’s really sad to see the seniors leave,” said Jamie, “without their help throughout the year I could not have been the performer I am today.” She went on to talk about the bond between the choirs and how it has influenced her. The concert made Jamie emotional and thankful to be a part of such an amazing family. Her overall message is that, “choir is a family and it is so hard to leave your family.”

A member of the Mixed Varsity Choir and a junior at the valley, Abbie Solomon, discussed her feelings of the concert as bitter sweet. “It was a great experience to be hand-in-hand with seniors and sing with them one final time,” said Solomon. She adds that what makes the spring concert so special to her is that “music brings an experience like nothing else can and creates connections like nothing else can.” Abbie’s last concert as a junior not only has made her reflect on the past, but also look forward to her future. “I have such high expectations for my senior year. I’ve set goals for myself and am so excited to see what the future holds.”

Lastly, a view of the concert from a senior’s perspective. Jay Callahan has been a part of choir all four years of his high school career and described his final concert as surreal. After the concert ended, Jay said, “I glanced into the empty auditorium and took a moment to reflect on my four years. I suddenly began to cry because in that moment I said ‘good bye’ to my home.” Callahan continues to talk about how choir has become a safe place for him, where he can truly be himself. He really appreciates all the time and effort his mentors, Mr. Pecar and Mrs. Ferguson, have put in to ensure that this concert, and all the concerts before, were spectacular. When questioned about leaving the underclassmen, Jay said, “they have impacted my choir career by always believing in me and being true friends when I needed a little boost in morale.” Overall, he is excited for his future, but is going to miss all the great things the Chippewa Valley Choirs has done for him.

No matter what year of choir you are in, this concert affects everyone in their own way. Whether it be leaving your second home, or saying goodbye to your family, just one year can create these feelings. Chippewa Valley is very fortunate to have such an amazing program to put on wonderful shows with such great quality. It teaches us life lessons; to be a better person every day, and it gives us a family to rely on throughout our lives no matter where we are.