What is Being Done to Help Puerto Rico?

Carla Perkins, Feature Editor

There is not an accurate death toll for Puerto Rico, but just because this tragedy can’t be recorded now, it doesn’t mean that it’s not happening.

The Icelandic U.S. territory, wrecked by Hurricane Maria, has suffered for weeks with little aid. President Trump has been feeling the heat to respond to the devastation in Puerto Rico due to his late visit and failure to completely lift the Jones Act, which has been slowing down relief efforts. The Jones Act is a regulation that states that only American owned, built, and crewed ships can transport goods to and from the island, which has harmed Puerto Rico’s economy for almost a century. Trump has temporarily waived the act, but with Puerto Rico in shambles, tensions in D.C. are rising.

Puerto Ricans have stated that they hope President Trump’s visit opens his eyes to how badly they have been affected by Maria. Without electricity or basic necessities like food and water, the residents of the small Caribbean island are in total survival mode. Homes have been destroyed and many families have been separated. Most people affected by this tragedy have stated that they believe the President could be doing much more to help out.

So what relief efforts are in place?

American Red Cross, Salvation Army, and Catholic charities are currently accepting relief funds for those affected by all three of the recent Hurricanes, in addition to United for Puerto Rico, a relief fund set up by the territory’s own first lady. Other funds are also accepting donations and even celebrities, like Jennifer Lopez and Lady Gaga have reached out and donated millions for the cause.

Although progress has been slow in aiding Puerto Rico, many organizations are lending a hand.

What can you do to help?

Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz of Puerto Rico has pleaded for more relief efforts and thankfully there are many ways to donate, volunteer, and spread the word about the devastation in Puerto Rico. Save the Children, Americares, UNICEF, and many more organizations are collecting donations for the cause. There is also a GoFundMe for those affected by Hurricane Maria (https://www.gofundme.com/raise-funds/hurricanemaria). Smaller ways to help out can be spreading awareness on social media such as, Twitter or Instagram and sharing links to donation websites.

Donate or learn more here:

https://www.unicefusa.org/donate/just-28-can-help-family-puerto-rico/33002?utm_campaign=2017_misc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=0178/2/_Google&utm_content=PuertoRico&ms=cpc_dig_2017_misc_0178/2/_Google_PuertoRico&initialms=cpc_dig_2017_misc_0178/2/_Google_PuertoRico

https://secure.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.9535647/k.A2B9/Hurricane_Maria_Childrens_Relief_Fund/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp?msource=wexgphca0917&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5o6KjJTc1gIVxVmGCh2igQmdEAAYBCAAEgI1t_D_BwE

https://www.redcross.org/donate/disaster-relief?scode=RSG00000E017&utm_campaign=maria&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5o6KjJTc1gIVxVmGCh2igQmdEAAYAiAAEgKF0vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMm21qOU3NYCFRo6TwodqucAMA