Movie Review : Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Sal Catherincchia, staff writer

There are a number of movies that have touched the hearts of both young and old, but none as much as the movies made by the great John Hughes.

Hughes had the ability to portray high school in both a realistic and comedic way. He created characters that would transcend into Hollywood history for generations, and no other character has flown higher than the iconic Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

The story follows Ferris as he fakes a sickness to have a “day off” from school with his best friend Cameron Frye and adventurous girlfriend, Sloan Peterson. The three go out into the city of Chicago to eat at restaurants, watch baseball games, and even sing and dance in the Von Steuben day parade, all while driving Cameron’s father’s 1961 Ferrari. The friends spend most of the day trying to avoid Ferris’s parents. The movie’s antagonists Principle Rooney and Jeannie Bueller, attempt to stop Ferris’s adventure.

Even though it is from the 1980’s, the movie has a timeless feel to it,  which is what has allowed the film to reach the same level of success as Jaws, Star Wars, and even The Shining. The film is most famous for its wit, including the memorable moments when Ferris breaks the fourth wall and talks directly to the audience.

The theme of the story tends to catch the audience’s attention when Ferris says, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” Considering that the movie is mainly a comedy, there are a lot of silent moments that slow down and allow the cinematography to carry the scene. This hidden theme allows people to reflect on themselves and appreciate/enjoy life.

The bad moments in this movie are much more of nitpicks than actually problems. There were certain parts that were conveyed to be slower than others, but still successful in picking up the pace when it needed to. The character Jeannie was too annoying and, while I know she was intended to be annoying and a foil, whenever she made an appearance I found myself anxiously waiting for the plot to drift back to Ferris or Rooney.

As a whole, the plot, cast, and production heavily out-weighs any of its faults. The film includes a witty charm that allows the audience to genuinely enjoy it, which is what I consider to be an incredibly important factor to make a movie great.

The film has a real gift in portraying the beauty of the present. Its great characters makes the movie very interesting and kept me invested as an audience member. The story is timeless and has a genuine wit to it that can make anybody, old or young, smile. It allows you to think of moments or parts of your life that are similar to Ferris’s. Ferris is a part of everybody. He is the part of you that’s confident, that takes risks, and most importantly, the part of you that enjoys life and lives it to the fullest. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is a movie that is deserving of a solid 10/10 for its story, characters, and overall genuine charm.