A Short Story: Who’s There?

Full moon over Pine forest; FSR 852 N of Topaz Mountain, W of Lost Park CG, Pike NF, E of Fairplay, CO

Enriqueta Flores-Guevara & Lon Brehmer

Enriqueta Flores-Guevara & Lon Brehmer

Sal Catherincchia, Staff Writer

As I walked down the old dirt road behind Willow Park, I could hear the sound of bats soaring in the air. Alex assured me that the old road was a shortcut to the bonfire. The dirt was harsh on my legs, and with each step, I felt a jolt of pain. I stopped when things went quiet—thinking to myself about the forest’s past gave me chills. Back in 1964, six teens wandered down this path and were never seen again. Some say they got lost and never found their way out, but everyone knows that something else got them. I pressed on through the thick trees and began to wonder if the bonfire was even happening tonight, maybe I imagined the invite and was stupidly walking down a dirt road at ten o’clock at night. “Hey Pete!” I heard from a distant figure. As I got closer, the moonlight hit their face just enough for me to make out that it was Jodie.

We made our way behind a giant pine tree that obscured my view of the dimly lit fire. Surrounding it was Alex, Sally, Marco, and Julius all debating about useless media or yesterdays basketball game. I sat down on the smooth rock farthest from the fire. “Okay, lets get one thing straight,” Alex exclaimed,”we all know the legend of this forest, well today I’m gonna prove that these stories are nothing but a load of garbage.” I was shocked that Alex was committing to this. I knew it was gutsy, but doing this here of all places was considered an omen. Suddenly silence possessed each of us as we all heard the breaking of a branch. “What was that?” Marco muttered.

“Relax,” Julius assured,”it was probably just a deer.”

Minutes had passed since the sound, but me and Sally were still on edge. The quiet conversations were broken when Alex shouted that he had forgotten his axe as he ran into the forest to find it. Several minutes passed since Alex left and we all began to fear for the worst. Suddenly we heard another sound. This time, it was the sound of something dragging. “Alex!?” I shouted to no avail.

“Who’s there?” Jodie screamed.

The pace of the dragging suddenly picked up, and Marco grabbed his bat in fear. Before we could even think, a figure approached from the forest. “Go away!” Sally yelled, it didn’t move. Marco began to run as yelled nonsense before he rapidly swung the figure. It was drowned by Marco who had continuously beat it with his bat. We all looked down at the beaten body, we all were in shock. Slowly I said with a stutter, “Alex?”