¿Dónde está Señor Bruveris?

Victoria Pettey, Editor-in-Chief

Middle school—these two words alone are enough to make anyone shudder in embarrassment. Middle school is a weird and upsetting time in most lives, with changing bodies and raging hormones. Among those brave enough to prepare these adolescents for high school and beyond, is Chippewa’s beloved Mr. Bruveris.

Last year, Bruveris was offered the assistant principal job that opened up at Wyandot Middle School. He graciously accepted the offer, but in exchange, he had to leave our Spanish department. Naturally, by going from teacher to assistant principal, Spanish does not quite play as an important role in his life as it once did. He does, however, occasionally call up Señora Rice (Wyandot’s Spanish teacher) and talk with her.

The toughest part about adjusting wasn’t just the difference in the age of students, but, “the interaction with parents, teachers, and students.” Bruveris was used to working with older kids and only a few parents. “It’s tough being in a higher position, because kids automatically do not trust you,” Bruveris admitted. Although, he has learned that the best way to work with students is by listening, treating them fairly, and treating them with respect. The more understanding you are, the better you come across to students. Also, at CVHS, Bruveris saw his colleagues more as friends, whereas now he works with teachers in a much more authoritative role.

Younger kids are still growing and maturing, so Bruveris notes that there is far more drama at the middle school level, but he hopes to work with kids and help them become better equipped to deal with certain situations.

Of course, every day is a new adventure at Wyandot. “It’s hard to say exactly what I do on a day-to-day basis because it changes all the time. I survey the cafeteria, observe teachers, conduct meetings, deal with behavioral issues, and sometimes I even have to order new gym equipment.” Though, Bruveris’ favorite part about his new position is that kids at that level are much more motivated. If a kid has “made up their mind” about school already, there is ample time to change their mind and to drive them to yearn for success.

As of right now, Mr. Bruveris is focused on excelling in his current position. He wants to make a great and lasting impression on the kids of Wyandot. Though, in the future he hopes to be a principal. Wherever his job takes him, he promises it will be in the field of education—because that is what he loves most. He says he is proud to say that he has taught at CVHS.